The Truth About Synthetic Engine oil
People have a lot to say about synthetic engine oils. Unfortunately, it's not always based on accurate oil information. Let's learn the truth behind some of the most common misconceptions about synthetic oils and your vehicle.
Reality: You can start using Mobil 1 engine oil in new vehicles at any time. In the past, engine break-in was necessary to remove any metal flashing (called swarf) or abrasive material left inside the engine after machining as well as to allow the valves and rings to "seat" properly. Today's engines are built with tighter tolerances, improved machining and under cleaner conditions compared to the engines of 10 or 20 years ago. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require a break-in engine period using petroleum-based engine oils. Below is a list of engines with factory-installed Mobil 1:
- Aston Martin DB9 & DB9 Volante
- Aston Martin V12 Vantage Coupe and Roadster
- Aston Martin Rapide S
- Aston Martin V12 Zagato
- Aston Martin Vanquish and Vanquish Volante
- Beijing Automotive Industrial Company Shenbao
- Bentley Mulsanne
- Bentley Continental Flying Spur
- Bentley Continental GT
- Bentley Continental GTC
- Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
- Chevrolet Corvette Z06
- Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
- Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Coupe
- Chevrolet COPO Camaro
- Chevrolet Cobalt - Columbia Model
- Chevrolet Corvette C6R.S
- Chevrolet Corvette C7 Stingray - Z51 Option
- McLaren MP4-12C
- McLaren P1
- Mercedes-AMG E, G, GL, ML, S, SL, 63 AMG
- Mercedes-AMG C, CL, 63 AMG
- Mercedes-AMG CL, G, SL 65 AMG
- Mercedes-AMG SLK 55 AMG
- Mercedes-AMG C 63 AMG Coupe
- Mercedes-AMG C 63 AMG Coupe Black Series
- Mercedes-AMG C 63 AMG Estate
- Mercedes-AMG CLS 63 AMG Coupe
- Mercedes-AMG CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake
- Mercedes-AMG CLS 63 AMG S-Model Coupe
- Mercedes-AMG CLS 63 AMG S-Model Shooting Brake
- Mercedes-AMG E 63 AMG S-Model
- Mercedes-AMG E 63 AMG S-Model Estate
- Mercedes-AMG E 63 Estate AMG
- Mercedes-AMG SLS AMG Coupe
- Mercedes-AMG SLS AMG Coupe Black Series
- Mercedes-AMG SLS AMG GT Coupe
- Mercedes-AMG SLS AMG GT Roadster
- Mercedes-AMG SLS AMG Roadster
- Nissan GT-R
- Porsche 911 - Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera Cabriolet, Carrera S Cabriolet, Targa, Targa S, Turbo, Turbo S
- Porsche Cayenne, Cayenne S, Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S
- Porsche Macan S, Turbo
- Porsche Panamera, Panamera S, Panamera GTS, Panamera Turbo, Panamera Turbo S
- Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, Boxster GTS
- Porsche Cayman, Cayman S, Cayman GTS
- Porsche 911 GT3
- Porsche 918 Spyder
Therefore, Mobil 1 is used in a car, even before you drive it off the showroom floor.
Reality: Mobil 1 will not void new car warranties, with the exception of the Mazda rotary engine because Mazda does not recommend any synthetic engine oil. Mobil 1 exceeds the API and ILSAC engine oil service requirements for all newly imported and domestic vehicles. If in doubt, always check your vehicle owner's manual or contact your vehicle's manufacturer.
Since most new car warranties call for shorter service intervals than those enabled by Mobil 1, ExxonMobil recommends you to follow the recommendations in your owner's manual while your car is under warranty.
Refer to your vehicle service manual for correct lubricant requirement and service intervals.
Reality: No special preparation is necessary when switching from conventional engine oil to Mobil 1.
Reality: While ExxonMobil recommends that you use a high-quality filter, you can use the same type of oil filter that you would normally use with conventional mineral oil.
Reality: Motorcycles are an ideal application for synthetic oil. ExxonMobil offers three fully synthetic engine oils for motorcycles:
- Mobil 1™ Racing 4T 10W-40 is recommended for on-road, high-performance 4-cycle sport bikes which are typically liquid cooled. It can also be used in air-cooled engines calling for a 10W-40 oil.
- Mobil 1™ V-Twin is a 20W-50 oil recommended for 4-cycle V-twin engines, particularly those that are air-cooled and tend to run hotter than other types of engines.
- Mobil 1™ Racing 2T is recommended for 2-cycle motorcycle engines that specify the use of a pre-mix, 2-cycle engine oil.
Reality: Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 was tested in dozens of industry standard and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which automotive seals and gaskets are made. If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 provides the same advantages as it does when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks before using Mobil 1. ExxonMobil also recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.